AMIGOS is a leader in international youth development, creating a world in which young people realize their full potential as leaders and global citizens. We provide extraordinary opportunities for youth to design and lead projects in collaboration with US and Latin American peers and partner organizations across the Americas. Our strong partner network, built over 50 years, enables authentic engagements in communities across the region.
The AMIGOS Chicago Urban Chapter recruits, trains, and supports AMIGOS participants and their families from the Chicago area. Our chapter accepts participants August through December of the fall prior to each summer experience. During the months of January through June, Chicago Urban Chapter participants will take part in local training and fundraising events as they prepare for their AMIGOS experience.
Board of Directors
Webmaster, Social Media
Recruitment & Training Team
HOW TO APPLY AND UPCOMING EVENTS
READY TO START YOUR APPLICATION?
1. Click here to start your application. Make sure to select that you are applying for the Urban Chicago chapter.
2. Complete your application and pay your $50 application fee. If you are applying for financial aid, complete the financial aid section within the application.
3. Complete an interview (details below).
The Chicago Urban Chapter covers AMIGOS program costs through a combination of family payments and fundraising activities. This approach allows us to keep costs to families low while teaching valuable fundraising and community outreach skills.
Family Fee: $3,900 (Payment plans available)
Application Fee: $50 (Non-refundable and not included in the Family Fee.)
Fundraising Goal: $2,475 (Learn more about fundraising here.)
- Training materials and workshops
- Round-trip domestic and international airfare
- Secondary short-term international medical insurance
- Program excursions
- Food, lodging, and transportation in Latin America
- Supplies for community project and extracurricular activities
- 24-hour On Call Emergency Management System
- Travel hotline and support
FEES DO NOT INCLUDE
- Immunizations and pre-travel medical examinations
- Passport/visa fees
DUE DATES AND PAYMENT OPTIONS
- Participants pay their family fees beginning December 15, 2017. The fee must be paid by April 15, 2018.
- Fees can be paid online or by mail. Payment plans are available.
Family Fee: $3,900 (payment plan options available)
Application Fee: $50
Group fundraising participation required
AMIGOS actively recruits and supports inclusion of participants from diverse backgrounds. AMIGOS provides needs-based financial assistance with distribution determined by family income, number of dependents and special financial circumstances. We provide amounts of $500-$1,500 to qualified applicants as deductions on the family fee. Financial assistance applications are due on November 20, 2017. Please contact your Chapter President for additional information. In addition, participants who are returning for an additional summer receive a $365 discount.
The transformative AMIGOS experience starts before leaving home.
With 50 years of experience preparing young people for travel and service abroad, AMIGOS training offers unparalleled global youth leadership development. Pre-departure training equips participants with the critical thinking, communication skills, and technical knowledge they need to make a meaningful impact across cultures while staying healthy and safe. The Chicago Urban Chapter AMIGOS training is youth-led, experiential learning that prepares participants for their AMIGOS experience, builds a community of youth and families with shared values, and develops life-skills to help participants succeed beyond AMIGOS. Training sessions are facilitated by the Training Team and include guest speakers from the community and the Peninsula Chapter Board of Directors.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TRAINING PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Unparalleled leadership development
- Cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Hands-on training for technical aspects of the program
- Extensive health and safety training
- Opportunities to practice Spanish
- Creating a community of young people with shared values
THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR TRAINING ACTIVITIES INCLUDES:
- Training meetings
- Four online assessments to determine readiness for the summer
The Urban Chicago Chapter covers AMIGOS program costs through a combination of fundraising activities and a family fee contribution. We chose these activities to maximize our ability to provide the AMIGOS experience to all participants without regard to family financial circumstances. All participants are required to fully take part in each fundraising activity as fundraising skills are an important component of AMIGOS training program and raise awareness of AMIGOS programs in the community.This effort primarily takes place from December to June. Participants receive considerable help with regard to fundraising strategies, and the experience gained in this effort will definitely build important skills!
LETTER WRITING/DONOR CONTACTS
Each participant is required to send out a combination of letters and emails to friends and family, to request individual tax-deductible donations (the revenue from this effort is pooled). Letters are written by the participant with considerable help provided by the chapter during the process.
|Saturday, April 7, 6-9 pm||Silent Auction and Benefit||Joint fundraiser by Amigos Chicago North and Urban chapters||Tickets here: tickets||National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W 19th St, Chicago|